The Shining gold property consists of one staked claim containing 9 units (144 hectares) and is located approximately 125 km south of Timmins, Ontario. Access to the property is by paved roads from either Timmins or Sudbury, followed by 2 km of bush road.
The property is in the Shining Tree Gold Camp that has been active since the turn of the 20th century. Similar to the Timmins area, the gold deposits are quartz-carbonate lodes that follow the dominant rock fabric. These gold lodes can be detected with geophysical methods (IP/Res and magnetics), till geochemistry and geologic mapping.
The original gold showing is described as sheared quartz veins in a 0.90 to 1.50 metre wide shear zone developed in diorite. A grab sample returned an assay of 32.03 g/t Au. Gold deposits in this area tend to be small but high grade.
The showing area is said to consist of numerous quartz veins situated within a schistose amphibolite zone that is several feet wide with pyrite as a common accessory mineral.
The Timmins Gold Camp: A Brief History
In active production since 1909, the Timmins Gold Camp has produced over 70 million ounces of gold. There are four active mines and several advanced exploration/development projects that highlight the highly lucrative area in and around Timmins, Ontario.
Founded by prospecting discoveries in the early 1900’s, the gold mineralization in the Timmins Gold Camp is home to over 35 current and former producers typically developed around moderate to steeply plunging high-grade quartz vein systems which have been mined to depths of up to 2,500 metres. Historically mining has focused on high-grade (7-10 grams/tonne gold), underground gold deposits located along or in close proximity to major fault systems. These fault systems run tens of kilometres through the entire Timmins District. More recently large open pits have been developed along these major fault systems and around the former underground producers.
Currently, Goldcorp (TSX: G) operates the Dome, Hoyle Pond and Pamour mines in Timmins and is undertaking a re-evaluation of the historic Hollinger/McIntyre system which has produced over 32 million ounces of gold since being placed into production in 1910.
The West Timmins District
The West Timmins District is the western extension of the Timmins Gold Camp and has increasingly become the focus of exploration and discovery activities in the Camp. Commencing with the discovery of the Golden River Trend in 1996 by West Timmins Mining Inc. (now owned by Lake Shore Gold Corp. (TSX: LSG)) there have been a series of significant gold discoveries in the West Timmins District.